An excellent sandwich to have anytime, anywhere!
- 1/4 of white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/8 of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling (RELATED PRODUCTS: EV OLIVE OIL)
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar, plus additional to taste (RELATED PRODUCTS RED WINE VINEGAR)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 5-ounce tuna packed in olive oil(see above) including olive oil (RELATED: TUNA IN OLIVE OIL)
- Lemon juice to taste
- 1 Ciabatta Rustica Bread (CIABATTA RUSTICA)
- Lettuce leaves, combination of Boston, green-leaf, or other green leafy lettuce
- 8 tomato slices
- 6-8 hard-boiled eggs slices
- 4 fillet-of-anchovies-in-olive-oil/ drained (FILLET OF ANCHOVIES)
- Nicoise olives (NICOISE OLIVES)
- Scallions, chopped
- Radishes, sliced
Combine the red and white onion with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil,1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and several grinds of black pepper in a bowl.
Using your hands, mix and squeeze everything together for 5 minutes. (Don't rush through this part; the onions need time to release their juices and mellow.)
Work in can of tuna in olive oil, including the oil. Season with fresh lemon juice, red-wine vinegar, and salt, then add pepper to taste.
Cut Bread in half crosswise and spread each bottom half with lettuce leaves. Use a couple of varieties—whatever looks good—for the difference in texture.
On top of each lettuce layer, arrange 4 tomato slices (skip this step if you don't have good—really good—tomatoes on hand). Then add about half the tuna mixture and 3 to 4 slices of hard-boiled egg.
Crisscross each sandwich with 2 drained anchovy fillets and strew with Nicoise olives (pit them if desired), chopped scallion greens, and sliced radishes. Then drizzle generously with more olive oil and top with the remaining bread halves, pressing gently but firmly.